How to Dispute Credit Report Errors


Dispute Credit Report Minneapolis


Correcting your credit report.  

Step One: Get a copy of your report.

You can get access to a free copy of your credit reports with Experian, Equifax, and
Trans Union once every twelve months by ordering a report from the following
website:  Please make sure that you spell the name of
the website correctly because crooks use misspelled versions of the website in order
to obtain private information about you.  If you were turned down for a loan, credit
card, mortgage, or insurance you have a right to receive a free credit report within
sixty days of the denial. You may also receive a free copy of a report used by an
employer – or prospective employer – and a free copy of a report used by a landlord
if they used adverse information from that report against you.  You can also access
your credit reports for a fee by going to, or  

Step Two:  Read the report.

Look at your credit history.  Make sure that your credit history is reporting accurately.  
Look to see if the creditors are incorrectly reporting that you were late on your payments
or that they are incorrectly reporting the debt as charged off.  Look for debts that do not
belong to you in your credit history.

Look at the collection accounts.  Look at the collection accounts in your credit report
to see if there are collection accounts that are inaccurate.  Look at the public records.  
Look to see if there are any judgments against you in the public records section of your
credit report, which do not belong there.Circle the items in your credit report that are
inaccurate.  If you have any question about your credit reports call attorney
Patrick L. Hayes at 612-821-4817 or email him at This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it .  

Step Three: Write and send a dispute letter.

Once you have reviewed your credit reports you want to put together a dispute letter.  
Never dispute the information online.  Always send a dispute letter.  You must include
a copy of your driver’s license, proof of your social security card, and a copy of your
utility bill when you send a dispute letter.  Below is an example of a dispute letter.  


Name of Company
City, State, Zip Code
Dear Sir or Madam:

I am writing to dispute the following information in my file. I have circled the items
I dispute on the attached copy of the report I received.  My date of birth is xx/xx/xx.  
I have enclosed a copy of my driver’s license, social security card, and a copy of a
utility bill with my address on it.  I have live at the same/following address(es) for the
last two years.    

This item (identify item(s) disputed by name of source, such as creditors or tax court,
and identify type of item, such as credit account, judgment, etc.) is (inaccurate or
incomplete)because (describe what is inaccurate or incomplete and why). I am
requesting that the item be removed (or request another specific change) to correct
the information.

Enclosed are copies of (use this sentence if applicable and describe any enclosed
documentation, such as payment records and court documents) supporting my position.
Please investigate this (these) matter(s) and (delete or correct) the disputed item(s) as
soon as possible.

Sincerely, Your name

Enclosures: (List what you are enclosing.)

You want to send the letter Certified Mail to the credit reporting agency
who is reporting the inaccurate information.  Dispute letters for the three
major credit bureaus should be sent to the following addresses:

•    Experian, 701 Experian Parkway, Allen, Texas 75013.  
•    Equifax, P.O. Box 740256, Atlanta, GA 30374
•    Trans Union, P.O. Box 2000, Chester, PA 19022-2000

It is also good practice to send a copy of the letter to whoever is supplying the
information to the credit reporting agency.  The credit reporting agency is usually
required to respond in writing to your dispute within thirty days after the credit reporting
agency has received the dispute letter.  

Step Four:  Documentation

Keep hard copies of all of the documents that you have sent to the credit reporting agency.
Even if the error(s) is fixed the inaccurate information may reappear on your credit report
years later.  If you have a copy of all of the documents you will have an excellent lawsuit
and, more importantly, you will be able to protect your credit.    

Call or email attorney Patrick L. Hayes at 612-821-4817 or email him at
This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it to discuss your case.

For More Information on the Fair Credit Reporting Act:

1) Common FCRA Violations;

2) Correcting Your Credit File;

3) Sample Dispute Letter;

4) Identity Theft; and

5) Examples of FCRA Cases